Dr Michelle May is a recovered yo-yo dieter and founder of Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Programs and Training. Am I Hungry? helps people resolve mindless and emotional eating so they can live the vibrant life they crave!
She is also the award-winning author of the book, “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat.” Based on the success people had with her first book, Dr May wrote and published three more books: “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Diabetes;” “Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Binging Eating;” and “Eating What You Love, Love What You Eat for Bariatric Surgery.”
Her books, programs, and retreats are all designed to help people increase self awareness of beliefs, habits, thoughts, feelings, and physical sensations; finally understand why diets do not work; discover simple yet powerful methods for knowing when, what, and how much to eat without restriction; and so much more.
Since finding her passion helping people end their dieting traps, Dr May has retired from her medical practice to focus 100% of her time on sharing the mindful eating method. Along the way she has been featured on the Discovery Health Channel, Dr. Oz, Oprah Radio, and quoted in Health, SELF, Redbook, WebMD, Woman’s Day, Huffington Post, and numerous other publications. Her personal success story is featured in Chicken Soup for the Dieter’s Soul. She will be a keynote speaker at this years Obesity Action Coalition Your Weight Matters Convention. Michelle’s unique yet common sense approach will change the way we think about eating.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is the problem that Dr Michelle May’s work seeks to solve.
- We discuss the “why” and break down the meaning of her book series titles of: “Eat What You Love. Love What You Eat: How to break the Eat, Repent, Repeat cycle.”
- The complexity of Fear and how Fear keeps us small.
- The problem with a dieting mindset and how this drives the vicious cycle of Eat, Repent, Repeat.
- Dr May’s personal history of yo-yo dieting and how, in 1999, she reached the end of her rope and vowed to never diet again. As a result of her personal work freeing herself from dieting forever (and becoming healthier and happier along the way), she founded her company, “Am I Hungry?”
- Your relationship with food is one of the most important relationships you have in your lifetimes.
- Eating with Attention and Intention: It is beyond the basics of paying attention to the taste and smell of food.
- The critical importance of Nonjudgmental Awareness of the Present Moment.
- Food is not good or bad. Food is simply food. However, we often wrap our emotions up in food as either good or bad. This results in food having power over us.
- We tease out a common scenario of a person driving home and having a craving for a bacon double cheeseburger and according to the Am I Hungry? method how might the person approach the situation before, during, and after the scenario.
- The definition of Physical Hunger.
- The definition of Head Hunger.
- The Am I Hungry? method for Bariatric Surgery.
- What is the journey of life really about.
- Trust: How to break free from feeling food controls you and you cannot trust yourself around food.
- The purpose of eating is to fuel living. We have forgotten this simple yet profound truth.
- Jeff’s Story
- The Am I Hungry? Community and ongoing support.
The foundation of Am I Hungry? Is the Mindful Eating Cycle which asks people to make six main decisions involved in eating:
- Why Do I Eat?
- When Do I Want to Eat?
- What Do I Eat?
- How Do I Eat It?
- How Much Do I Eat?
- Where Do I Invest That Energy?
Dr May’s greatest wish for everyone: Eat mindfully and live the big, vibrant life you deserve!
MENTIONS IN THIS EPISODE:
- Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Programs and Training
- Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery Program
- Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle: Free Chapter 1 Download
- Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat and Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery Workbook set
- Am I Hungry? Retreats
- The Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery October Webinar with Dr May and Jeff
- Robanne Robin on the Weight Loss Surgery Podcast Episode 30
- Donate to Robanne Robin’s Walk From Obesity Team Strong
- Obesity Action Coalition Your Weight Matters Convention
I Believe in You!